Wednesday, December 20, 2006

It's been months (contrition)

As per my normal rhythm, I've returned once again with a wholly inadequate post. Inadequate as it tries to summarize the pass three months and all the events and insights and whatever else that occurred in that long interm. It has been a thrilling three months, and I am frustrated with myself (as usual) because I've not been consistant with this blog.

I've been invited to interview at the university of Vermont medical school. I freely admit I did not put my "all" into the application process this year. Subconciously, I think I am content with my situation in San Francisco, and maybe that explains the lack of energy applied to writing essays and sending secondaries out and so forth. I was lucky to receive this interview at UVM and luckier still because Vermont is where I would like to make my home. The Bay has grown near and dear to me in the there-is-so-much-to-see-and-do sort of way, but I need wind and rain and snow and mud and slush and spring and fall and heat and moist air to feel alive. I've thought much about (as much as I think about anything) being in both places someway. But, that is a pipe dream of the most long and narrow kind, its happening so impropable that it is represented by the tinyest point of light who knows how far away.

Tomorrow I go for my interview. I am going to have to answer some rough questions that I've put off thinking. My SSRI can dull the fear of death and failure and public humiliation, but it can not remove it and prevent it from effecting my present. I have avoided the internal dialogue with myself, the self-interview, that one should have if one is to go in front of a complete stranger and convince them of one's resolve and passion.

Why I want to be a doctor

I have habored a fancination of the unknown, especially in the natural world, since childhood. I found an name for the type of person that is constantly turned-on by the stars, plants, animals, forces that pull me, past people, the body, the mind: a scientist. Fortunately, I am not all scientist, for I love art and music and efforts of the soul. As I've been taught, there are one two possible types of people, those who do the sciences and those who toil with the arts. Of course, there is a whole world of people interested in business and ventures with money... but I am not one. I love to teach. I love to learn. I love to feel appriciated. I want dedicate to giving back this world that as given so much to me. Being a doctor means that you may do something different everyday, that your job is never done, that more effort is alway required of you... and all that appeals to me.

No comments: