Friday, February 17, 2006

N Judah

"Why San Francisco?" - Everyone.

I am not normal. Things that are obvious to the rest of the human race, are not obvious to me at all, or things will become obvious much later than they should. The question above is not one I asked myself with complete seriousness and thoroughness.

For the first time in my life I am outside of New England without close friends or family. I am alone almost everywhere I go. This last Sunday I took the N-Judah (a cable car) down to Ocean Beach. When I was looking for apartments while back in Vermont, I saw this line referenced many times as I was seeking out a place in that area. I was riding the N train on this beautiful morning, watching block after block slip pass. Occasionally, I saw the green tops of trees in golden gate park, which runs about two blocks to the North and parallel to the N line. Young individuals got on and off, then it families came aboard as we reached the more residential Outer Sunset neighborhood. Parents and the type of kids that are "from" a city, not from a suburb. This would be the place that they depart from when they decide they've been too long, when they've seen all there is to see, done all there is to do.

48th street...My stop

The train loops back on itself here and becomes in-bound. I was amazed at how close I was to the beach just stepping off the train, probably because I didn't do any sort of distant calculation with a map or otherwise.

And as sudden as stepping of a plane, I was at a most picturesque beach with fine, brown sand and large green waves breaking into white foam that chased back the lands.

I want to live here.

No comments: